Re: (supposedly) need graphics... and the value of gesture.

At 12:08 PM 4/9/00 +0100, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>I do have published books with parallel text running to 90 pages that have
>one page symbols and text with the opposite page having ASL diagrams and the
>same text.

What is an ASL diagram? Do you have an example of one?

>This is very helpful as when reading the client can try the sign diagram if
>she does not 'get' the symbol, and thus has two bites at the cherry.

Could you explain a bit more or do you have an example on the web? I
understood this so that the user tries to read the text and when having
difficulties looks corresponding paragraph of symbolic images or
alternatively a paragraph with ASL diagrams?

Does this mean that we could have the text on the computer and a special
browser that toggles the selected text to symbols or asl diagrams when
needed (if it can be done automatically).

>This is particularly useful for abstract containers such as 'name' and
>'where'

Do you mean abstract concept in general?

>The gesture offers an alternate and often public clue. Indeed many symbols
>are in fact gestures as diagram.
>
>consider: happy sad come go sit good stop no hello goodbye shh
>
>the list goes on.
>
>I do hope we can all accept that a significant proportion of people with CD
>benefit from a multimodal experience. Particularly one that includes
>pictures and gesture with words, perhaps that's why they like soaps.

Many users in general benefit from multimodal experience, especially if
they have control to turn off/on selected modalities. So I don't think
there is much disagreement.

The discussion is probably more about priorities but there is so many
things for everybody to try to understand and learn from each other first
so I would worry about that discussion a bit later.

Marja