Re: Breaking it Down: Types of Cognitive Disabilities

At 03:47 PM 4/4/2000 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Humnour me for a moment, please *grin*.

I always humor you, Chaals!

>Actually, what we are told is that
>there are some people who cannot read text easily, but for whom screenreaders
>are indeed helpful. There are other people who not only cannot easily read
>text, but in fact cannot understand complex written OR oral language, and
>screen readers will not be particularly helpful.

Riiiiight, which is why identifing users must come before identifying
accessibility hurdles.  The same hurdle may be solved in different
ways for different people -- for example, a solution for a deaf user
may not be the same as a solution for a deaf-blind user!

>Among the latter will be
>people who are deaf, and for whom any written or spokemn language is a second
>language. (Or is this an i18n problem... Actually I believe it is a
>disability problem, but illustrates the deeply related nature of the two
>areas).

Agreed.  But I think it's important that we -do- identify users
with CDs distinctly before proceeding, so we know that we are
indeed meeting their needs.  Jonathan and Anne seem to be indicating
that we have not, and that concerns me.

So, humor -me- for a while, as I try to figure out who exactly we
are talking about when we talk about CD users.

--Kynn

Director of Accessibility, edapta                  http://www.edapta.com/
AWARE Center Director                         http://www.awarecenter.org/
Next of Kynn: a quasi-regular web log           http://www.kynn.com/next/