Re: Kynn's Analysis of CD Web Accessibility

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 20:53:23 -0700
To: "Jonathan Chetwynd" <jay@peepo.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 04:43 AM 4/2/2000 , Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>However we can say with some certainty that whilst human designed pages are
>a wonderful resource for CD clients,
>current web based assistive technology is not of significant benefit in
>browsing the average web page.
>In particular screen readers are of very little use.

Why is that?  Can you expand further on this and give some
examples of studies that support this conclusion?

>It mainly centers around offering clients options such as text/no text in
>their face, rather than hidden.

I don't understand what you're saying here.  Can you illustrate
with pictures?

>Mild aphasia which is rather common even in the general population means
>that other routes than mouse control will be central to this development.

Can you explain what is meant by "mild aphasia"?  Assume that I
know little to nothing about cognitive disabilities and am relying
on you to provide complete definitions of terms you use.

>Has anyone got a feely one working yet?
>My two are still sitting in the wings.

I assume by this you mean "I haven't gotten my 'feely' (tactile
feedback?) mouse working yet -- has anyone else?" -- right?

(Not having a 'feely' mouse, I have nothing to contribute on this
topic other than the translation...)

Director of Accessibility, edapta                  http://www.edapta.com/
AWARE Center Director                         http://www.awarecenter.org/