Re: I have found the mother lode! (previously this thread was called "How to describe Flowcharts, Schematics, etc" on the wai-IG list)

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:38:32 -0400
To: chisholm@trace.wisc.edu, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

This is a good start.
In order to provide an "equivalent" alternative, interactivity must be added on top of any verbal (i.e. audio) or textual description.  See, especially
1) http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/1999JulSep/0273.html
(Technical Note: For some reason I cannot yet determine, the archived version of this has some words missing when my screen reader reads it in the browser window.  If someone gets the chance, could you tell me if you see words missing as well?  If I cut-and-paste from say WordPad and have "Wrap To Window" or "Wrap to Ruler" options set and then send it in a mail message, could this cause words to be deleted? -Thanks.)
and
2) http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/1999JulSep/0285.html

-Steve

------
Steven McCaffrey
Information Technology Services
NYSED
(518)-473-3453

>>> Wendy A Chisholm <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu> 09/02 6:04 PM >>>
Today I received a copy of the National Braille Assocation's "Tape
recording manual."  It contains a series of guidelines for creating
auditory presentations of documents.  I am hopeful that we may either 1.
help get the document published on-line or 2. quote 1/2 of it in an
appendix in the WCAG techniques document (or some supplemental document).

It also discusses acronyms, abbreviations, changes in language and many
other issues discussed in WCAG 1.0.

The Tape Recording Manual may also be useful to UA's that speak or produce
audible cues and developers of screen readers (if they aren't familiar with
it already).

more as I know it,
--wendy