I have found the mother lode! (previously this thread was called "How to describe Flowcharts, Schematics, etc" on the wai-IG list)

From: Wendy A Chisholm <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:03:16 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Today I received a copy of the National Braille Assocation's "Tape
recording manual."  It contains a series of guidelines for creating
auditory presentations of documents.  I am hopeful that we may either 1.
help get the document published on-line or 2. quote 1/2 of it in an
appendix in the WCAG techniques document (or some supplemental document).

It also discusses acronyms, abbreviations, changes in language and many
other issues discussed in WCAG 1.0.

The Tape Recording Manual may also be useful to UA's that speak or produce
audible cues and developers of screen readers (if they aren't familiar with
it already).

more as I know it,
--wendy