HTML validator, was Re: htnl validator

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:28:48 +0100 (BST)
To: Robert Neff <robneff@home.com>
cc: w3c-wai-eo@w3.org, wai-gl <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Robert Neff wrote:

> As far as i can tell, W3C's HTML Validator works only with internet IPs and
> URLs.  Does the W3C have anything that we can download

> and use on the
> Intranet or for development servers that are behind the firewall.

All these HTML syntax validators are based on the same core component
(SP), but at the moment I believe the most effective package,
including coverage for a wide range of charsets, is the one provided
by Liam Quinn at the WDG,

This is free, but the web page admits that ease of installation was
not their first priority.

If you're working on Win/95/98/NT, then this recently released package
from the same author may be of interest, http://arealvalidator.com/ -
however, there is a modest license fee for that software.  I'm just
passing this information on: I must admit I haven't tried that package
myself - but the author has a fine reputation.

Hope that was useful.  As you sent your query to the WAI lists, I'm
copying my reply there too; I apologise to anyone who feels this is

all the best