RE: Do as WAI does, not as WAI says

At 05:46 PM 8/4/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
Bruce,

	Hope you're feeling less cranky today.

>The audience Anne P and Jonathan are trying to reach NEVER WERE
>SOPHISTICATED COMPUTER USERS.  So why does it follow that the Web should be
>put into a format that is digestible to them?

So that they can become sophisticated computer users.

>ramps are than steps.  We would not have to put in curb cuts if we did not
>create curbs in the first place!

Are you saying that if computer hadn't been invented we wouldn't have to be
figuring out how to include people with all disabilities to the table?

>If sites that house picture books are not functional to non-readers, well
>how the heck can general interest sites be made useable to this population?

The same way the picture books site can be functional INCLUDE MEANINGFUL
GRAPHICS so that a user can get to where he or she is going on that site.
It's like putting the picture books on the top-most shelf in the library
--- out of reach to the users without help from others.

>  Let alone, how can we create specifications that tell others how to do
>this?

Carefully, sincerely, openly and acceptingly. Just as we want folks to act
towards any other accommodation for persons with any disability. I honestly
don't think that the folks first to the table should be turning away the
newcomers. A hearty welcome, along with welcoming accommodations would be
so much better.

				Anne
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1