RE: Cognition

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@crosslink.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 15:47:57 -0400
To: "Chuck Hitchcock" <chitchcock@cast.org>, "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 03:02 PM 8/5/1999 -0400, Chuck Hitchcock wrote:
>I suspect that you have not heard anyone who is blind using a flat,
>non-expressive voice, at 500 words per minute.

No, I've been told it can be done, but have never heard one in operation.
Without having experienced it, but having experienced a flat non-expressive
voice at a "normal" rate of speed, I don't think I would be able to stand it.

Kids often try this too but it
>is not unusual for kids using text-to-speech to gain access to subject area
>content in spite of reading difficulties to move through the materials faster
>than their reading peers.

If this is so (I don't doubt it, but it's the first I've heard it), I can
understand your concern about having children move from listening
efficiently to reading inefficiently.

				Anne
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1