RE: Granularity of conformance claims

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@crosslink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:07:25 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 11:55 AM 7/22/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Anne --
>I would be glad to share the site, but I can't (don't have permission /
>don't have the technical ability) since it is currently on a private

I, too, would have no idea how to get on an intranet, unless I had access
to a box on it ...

>The site does precious little for the truly cognitively impaired.  The site
>is pretty, but that is really for everybody (especially the non-technical
>bureaucrats that are funding the project).  All parts of Checkpoint 14 are
>addressed nicely, but the site remain totally inaccessible to a non-reader.

I agree that meeting checkpoint 14 would not meet the needs of a
non-reader, tho it may, or may not, meet needs of cognitively impaired
folks with some reading skills.

Based on my development of "strategies" so far, I'd suggest that an
all-graphic version of a page would not meet the needs of the cognitively
impaired folks with some-to-average reading skills - a page which combines
graphics and text would. I suspect the site was developed for the
cognitively impaired folks who need auditory input either with or without
visual stimuli (graphics, animation and/or text). An all-text version that
doesn't work in speech while giving you a view of the original page isn't
going to work for some of the cognitively disabled, tho it will work for
some others.

>Really what the author is trying to do is to twist the WCAG against itself
>by playing one disability group (the learning impaired) against another
>(the blind) [sigh] -- all without really doing anything in particular for
>the first group! [heavier sigh]

Not trying to do; he's doing it! And he's pointed out what needs to be
"Fixed" in the guidelines very nicely... The guidelines don't give him much
to go on to build a page accessible to the widest number of disabled folks
including specifically cognitively disabled folks. That work is still ahead.

Anne L. Pemberton
Enabling Support Foundation