automatic sounds

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 08:31:20 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
From yesterday's minutes:

          QUESTION: From "Provide a text equivalent for every
                sound played automatically,"
                What does "automatically" mean?

IMHO this means to leave out (of the subject of this guideline) sounds
which are the target of a link.

Sounds played automatically are played without a separate action from the
user explicitly cueing the production of sound.

I don't believe I know the original reasoning for treating this separately
from sounds invoked by activating a link, although one can guess it is
because sounds initiated by link activation are presumed to be predictable,
i.e. the user knows something about what sound they are about to hear
before it plays.

Al