Re: Conformance proposal re-drafted

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:26:01 +0100
To: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> 5. Conformance:
>
> This document defines three conformance levels:
> - Conformance Level "A": satisfying all Priority 1 checkpoints;
> - Conformance Level "Double-A": satisfying all Priority 1 and 2 checkpoints;
> - Conformance Level "Triple-A": satisfying all Priority 1, 2, and 3
> checkpoints.

It's fine that we use speech friendly names but I don't see any reason
why we do not also include the read (visual or braille) friendly
version. I suggest something along:

  - Conformance Level "AAA" or "Triple-A": satisfying all Priority 1, 2, and 3
    checkpoints.

Either that or we include in the rec spec icons for A, AA and AAA with
alt="Double-A", etc.

> Example: "This standard conforms to conformance level 'Double-A' of 'Web
> Content Accessibility Guidelines' available at
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-19990316."

I'm still at lost of what that means exactly.

If some organization claims that their guidelines conforms to AA for
instance, does it mean that the best practices they advocate in their
document "include" at least all of our AA checkpoints, or "is exactly"
our set of AA checkpoints ? Can they change the wording we use ?
What does "satisfying" mean for a process ?