Re: GL comment

From: Chuck Letourneau <cpl@starlingweb.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:02:24 -0500
To: love26@gorge.net
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Thanks for your note William.

I was on the Education and Outreach call as well, and heard the discussion
around this point.  While at first skeptical about the need for
clarification, I tried stepping back to look at the statement from the
point of view of a relative newcomer.  I now think you are correct.
Someone might think the Guidelines are hinting (and being coy by not
mentioning names) that those machine verification applications are what we
are referring to.  I would support asking the editors to add a sentence of

Might it be as simple as restating the existing sentence?

"The checkpoints have been written so that it will be possible [for a
person/an author] to verify when they have been satisfied."

Chuck Letourneau
Co-Chair, Page Author GL WG
At 12/03/99 10:44 AM , William Loughborough wrote:
>Under Priorities:
>"The checkpoints have been written so that it will be possible to verify
>when they have been satisfied. "
>As discussed in an EOWG telecon a possible clarifying statement might
>minimize the perhaps too optimistic hopes raised in the above quote.
>Somehting like: Although an author's Website may have its conformance
>with many checkpoints verified *objectively* by a tool such as Bobby,
>there are also some checkpoints (e.g. "provide textual equivalents")
>that, although their presence may be verified mechanically, only the
>subjectively applied skills of a human author can approve.
>I assume that if you want to explicitly include this caveat you can find
>a *real* wordsmith like Ian to state it better.

Starling Access Services
 "Access A World Of Possibility"
  e-mail: info@starlingweb.com
    Phone: 613-820-2272  FAX: 613-820-6983