RE: Lang attribute not P1 ?

From: Charles Oppermann <chuckop@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:20:43 -0800
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
It should not be priority one.  Adding <body LANG="zh"> to a page will not
make a Chinese page speak correctly with an English text to speech
synthesizer.

While there are a lot of good reasons to use LANG and I support that, we
should limit Priority 1 items to things that have a direct, beneficial
impact on the accessibility of the web.