Re: Math and Science

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:49:38 -0500 (EST)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
This was about what I had in mind, more eloquently expressed. (But that's
what I expect from Ian.)

Charles McCN

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > I think we identified someplaces where a discussion of including
  > Mathematical content could be included within the Guidelines document. I
  > still don't see a Guideline which relates to Math. Maybe a Checkpoint.

  I don't see any reason to single out "Math" and "Science" in
  the Guidelines. What particular accessibility issues do they raise?
  What distinguishes those subjects from Architecture or Philosophy
  or Art History?

  I could see adding a checkpoint to the guidelines that reads
  something like:

   "Where it's possible to mark up content (for example
    mathematical equations) instead of using images,
    use a markup language."

  Then, in the techniques document, one could talk about
  using MathML to mark up math content.

   - Ian

  --
  Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)