Re: Math and Science

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:18:46 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
CC: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>, WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org
Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I think we identified someplaces where a discussion of including
> Mathematical content could be included within the Guidelines document. I
> still don't see a Guideline which relates to Math. Maybe a Checkpoint.

I don't see any reason to single out "Math" and "Science" in
the Guidelines. What particular accessibility issues do they raise?
What distinguishes those subjects from Architecture or Philosophy
or Art History?

I could see adding a checkpoint to the guidelines that reads
something like:

 "Where it's possible to mark up content (for example
  mathematical equations) instead of using images,
  use a markup language."

Then, in the techniques document, one could talk about
using MathML to mark up math content.

 - Ian

--
Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)