redundant text links

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:50:34 -0500
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I just noticed (sorry didn't notice it earlier) something about the
recommendation for redundant text links

It shows the links as <A> links inside a <MAP> element so that they are
only displayed if the image map is not displayed.

But what if a person has
- a browser that shows the image map,
- but a screenreader that is looking for ALT attributes of <AREA> tags for
the ALT text?

The user of that setup will see no text at all.

So I think you need to include the classic redundant text tags, just
ordinary text links outside the context of <MAP>.

I like the idea of automatically showing text links when images are off...
but I think that feature is already implied by the user agent guidelines: see

(please copy me if there's a discussion.  I'm not on the GL list).

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)