Re: UA Group - Review of UA document for coordination with WCAG

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu>
cc: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, po@trace.wisc.edu, "GL - WAI Guidelines WG (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
No, this is not exactly true. The element you are thinking of is MAP - the
same element that is used to describe the navigation part of client side
image maps. MENU is deprecated in favour of the list elements.

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Jon Gunderson wrote:

  >[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999AprJun/0150.html
  >> Six areas they have identified and have as points on their list (which
  >> aren't necessarily reflected in the current UA Guidelines are:
  >> #03:  Should user agents be able to recognize markup for navigation bars
  >Our current discussion in UAGL on this topic is about using schemas
  >as the proper way to identify semantic units such as navigation bars.
  JRG: My understanding is that the MENU element is also recommended in the
  Web Content Guidelines for marking up navigation bars.  Is this true?
  Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
  1207 S. Oak Street
  Champaign, IL 61820
  Voice: 217-244-5870