Content model of MAP element (was Re: Stupid)

From: Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:34:18 +1100 (AEDT)
To: WAI Markup Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
The HTML 4.0 specification defines the content model of the MAP element
as:

<!ELEMENT MAP - - ((%block;)+ | AREA+)

On my interpretation, this means that MAP can contain either one or more
block-level elements, or one or more AREA elements, but not a mixture of
AREA and block-level elements. My understanding is that the SGML | symbol
represents an exclusive or, from which this conclusion follows
straightforwardly.

Thus, the implication appears to be that <map> <p> [navigational links]
</map>
would be valid, but as Daniel pointed out, there remains a question of
backward compatibility, which can be easily and quickly tested.