Re: guidelines

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:51:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: tmccain@butler.edu (McCain Tom)
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Well said!

One small puzzlement you might be able to help with:

to follow up on what McCain Tom said on the WAI-IG list:

> 8. If a page is still not accessible, provide a link to an
> alternative page, preferably a text-only page.

"text-only" is the colloquial term for a page in super-accessible
style.  Unfortunately, if one gets down to brass tacks, the idea
that it is only text is neither necessary nor sufficient for this
added level of usable-by-anybody quality.

If you can think of any word or phrase that would capture the
real meaning and still speak to the general public, it would be a
great help.  Among engineers I would call them KISS pages but I
would be reluctant to promote that as the name for a "general
audience."

Perhaps what we need is a sub-guideline that clearly identifies
a stricter level of guideline to apply to alternate pages, but
dispels the illusion that text is a panacea.

Al