Re: guidelines

From: McCain Tom <tmccain@butler.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:39:09 -0500 (EST)
To: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
You're right, Al.

>> 8. If a page is still not accessible, provide a link to an
>> alternative page, preferably a text-only page.
>
>"text-only" is the colloquial term for a page in super-accessible
>style.  Unfortunately, if one gets down to brass tacks, the idea
>that it is only text is neither necessary nor sufficient for this
>added level of usable-by-anybody quality.

I was intrigued when a blind man told me, "I don't want to go to text-only
pages." I try to remember that but forgot it when I wrote item 8.

Perhaps it should be a text-enriched site. The lesson I want my users to
get is that if it is a "photo of a Vermont village, nestled under church
steeples, hugged by snow-covered hills, bathed in moonlight"...

say so.

And say it well. Simply converting to text is not enough; it carries an
added responsibility for clarity and inclusion. We have to think past what
we assume, what we take for granted.

- tom

tom mcCain, Butler University, Indianapolis USA

Work phone: 317 940-8138
Email address: tmccain@butler.edu
Web addresses: http://trevor.butler.edu/~tmccain
               http://www.crittur.com