Re: Comments on WAI guidelines

From: John T. Whelan <whelan@physics.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 22:30:07 -0600
To: chisholm@trace.wisc.edu, whelan@physics.utah.edu
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
I write:

>>Technique A.1.6
>>>However, if ascii art must be used, mark it up as such:
>>><SPAN class="smile" title="smiley in ascii art">:-)</SPAN>
>>>End example.
>>	The problem is that there is no ALT attribute defined for SPAN
>>in the HTML4.0 spec, so this example violates guideline C.4.1.

Wendy Chisholm replies:

>"title" is a valid attribute on SPAN.

	Whoops, I was quoting the wrong example.  I was thinking of
the subsequent paragraph

" Another way to replace ascii art is to use human language
" substitutes. For example, <wink> might substitute for the emoticon
" <SPAN alt="wink" title="wink smiley">;-)</SPAN>,

which uses ALT as well as TITLE on a SPAN (although I suppose it's not
actually an example).

	Oh, and of course <wink> would have to be written as

>><OBJECT DATA="cow.txt" TYPE="text/x-ascii-art" TITLE="drawing of a cow">

>yes, this is another interesting way to do this.

	Although only useful if agreement is reached on the MIME type
and browser makers are aware of it.
					John T. Whelan