Re: How to indicate the structure of set of buttons?

From: Wendy A Chisholm <chisholm@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:18:39 -0500
To: Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 04:40 PM 9/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Guideline A.7
>- What are the presentation elements? We need a link to a definition.
In the new techniques document, all of the structural elements and the
presentation elements are separated into two lists. We can link to this
definition from the guidelines document.

>- I didn't quite understand the rationale behind banning image maps in the
>techniques column item 3. Especially as in some other places, we just ask
>to provide alternative text for links in the image maps (A.12).
good point.  This seems to fit better in A.1 where we discuss image maps.
Particularly with A.1.5 For all graphical buttons (INPUT type="image")
provide alt-text (via the "alt" attribute)

>Isn't a set of buttons also a structure? If just separate buttons are used,
>how then tell that they belong together? What is actually meant by buttons?
Yes, it seems a set of buttons creates a "what to do next" structure, i.e.,
here are the possibilities of what you can do once you've filled out a
form.  The separate buttons would hopefully be identified by both a group
label and individual labels that would make their purpose and grouping clear.

 "Buttons" refers to
 <INPUT type="image">
<INPUT type="button">