Tables - my thoughts

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:06:00 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
This is something like what I would like to see
It avoids the 'complex tables' language which really concerns me, and I
think refers, perhaps briefly, to all the things I can think of.

I have put it into my linearised version of the latest guidelines, about
which more in a minute

Charles
Priority 1
<H4>For tables, provide summaries, associate cells with row and column
headers, and where appropriate group cells into categories.</H4>
Many user agents restructure tables to present them. Without appropriate
markup the tables will not make sense when restructured. Tables also
present special problems to screen-readers.
<OL>
<LI>Tables which produce text displayed as columns require a plain-text
alternative. See last resorts [Priority 1]
<LI>Provide summaries for tables ("SUMMARY" on TABLE) [Priority 2]
<LI>Identify headers for Rows and Columns (TH) [Priority 2]
<LI>Where tables have structural divisions beyond those implicit in the
rows and columns, use appropriate mark-up to identify those divisions
(THEAD TFOOT TBODY AXIS SCOPE COLGROUP etc) [Priority 2]
<LI>Provide abbreviations for header labels ("abbr" on TH) [Priority 3]
</OL>
<LI>