Re: Tables - my thoughts

I think tables for page layout are going to be with us for a long time.
One of the main reasons is backward compatibility with non-CSS browsers.
Also almost every book published on HTML design talks about using tables
for layout.  It would be ideal to get rid of tables for spatial layout, but
I think it is a difficult , if not impossible task given the momentum for
the use of tables.

I would like to see some type of markup of tables that can be used by User
Agents for rendering table information in a form that is compatible with
needs of persons with disabilities.  So if a table is being used to provide
column formating, if had the appropriate markup to indicate that is what it
is doing the user agent could create a non-column rendering of the table.
If the table was data and information is available about the table
relationships a linear rendering of the table and additional UA controls
could be used for navigating the information in the table.

Jon

At 10:36 AM 7/23/98 +1000, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Labelling tables for their purpose:
>Tables for presentation of tabular information need no label.
>
>Tables for columnar layout need to be excised from the web, until such
>time as screen readers which cannot understand them are no longer used.
>
>just my 2c
>
>Charles

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
1207 S. Oak Street