When tables get complex enough

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charlesn@sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 07:30:42 +1000 (EST)
To: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Following from the item for the teleconference (and preceding a
discursive piece on when frames become sufficiently complex to require a
LONGDESC...)

From the HTML 4.0 specs:
Column groups allow authors to create structural divisions within a
table. Authors may highlight this structure through style sheets
or HTML attributes

CMcCN:: Which was sort of like what I wanted to say. Where the table
contains structural divisions or groupings within it, beyond those which
are implicit in the layout of the table in rows and columns, the
appropriate attributes (COLGROUP, AXIS, SCOPE, etc) should be included.

SUMMARY is like an ALT for a table, but we expect that people can
linearise tables and get the headings and so forth anyway. So I'm not
sure about that one.

Charles McCN