RE: Okay, is this better? - ALT TEXT discussion

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 13:36:36 -0500
To: Gregg Vanderheiden <GV@TraceCenter.org>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 11:54 AM 28/03/98 -0600, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>I believe the correct use of alt text is to provide a
>verbal (not visual) substitute for the function of the image.   If it is a
>section divider line the ALT  would be section divider.

LQ:  But "section divider" isn't a substitute for the function of the
image; it's a description of the function of the image.  A substitute would
be "end of section", which seems a bit more natural and seamless if
listening to a Web page.  Even less awkward ALT text may be possible given
the context, as with my previous example of "This concludes the section on

Liam Quinn