RE: Okay, is this better? - ALT TEXT discussion

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <GV@TraceCenter.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 11:54:12 -0600
To: "'Liam Quinn'" <liam@htmlhelp.com>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Liam Quinn wrote:
Providing the meaning rather than the visual indication of that meaning
would be better, in my opinion.  For example, if a site uses images of
orange dividing lines before warnings and green dividing lines before
notes, then ALT="Warning:" and ALT="Note:" would be better than ALT="Orange
Divider Line" and ALT="Green Divider Line".

GV:  I concur.  I believe the correct use of alt text is to provide a
verbal (not visual) substitute for the function of the image.   If it is a
section divider line the ALT  would be section divider.  If it is a warning
then the ALT would be warning.

Gregg Vanderheiden