RE: ALT text revisited

From: Kasday, Leonard R (Len), ALTEC <kasday@att.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:40:54 -0500
To: "'w3c-wai-gl@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Liamm,

Thanks for that proposal on ALT text.   I was looking for something that
collected in one place recommendations for  ALT, TITLE, and LONGDESC.

>Could we apply your suggestions to a specific example?

Suppose  we have a web site for a hypothetical business "Archimedes
Plumbing", and the banner contains the text "Archimedes Plumbing" and
shows Archimedes, a white haired 60-ish Greek gentleman, sitting in a
sudsy bathtub, wielding a pipe wrench above his head.   His boney
kneecaps just break the surface of the suds.  The color scheme is based
on cool blue.  There's a slogan at the bottom of the banner, "Your best
plumbing value".

For this banner, what shall we recommend in this example for:

  ALT?

  TITLE?

  LONGDESC?

Len

All opinions expressed here are my own, not necessarily those of my
employer.
kasday@att.com         phone 732 949 2693

Leonard R. Kasday
Room 1J-316A