Re: ACCESSKEY attribute

From: Colin F Reynolds <colin@the-net-effect.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:54:52 +0000
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
In article <3.0.5.32.19980216134714.009aca00@staff.uiuc.edu>, Jon
Gunderson <jongund@staff.uiuc.edu> writes
>Thanks for the information on ACCESSKEY.  But isn't the browser
>implementation kind of a big deal.

Indeed.

>  If I put a statement like "Press S to
>submit the form", the user has to press more than S in most browsers.  So
>many people will think it doesn't work.  But if I put the "Access key for
>the submit button is S".  Most people won't know what an access key is.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, it is necessary to decouple the page
authoring task from the browser rendering function: ie don't assume what
your audience's environment is.

>There must be a better way to use the access key for authors to adopt it's
>usage.

Authors will adopt its usage in droves once the browsers implement it in
a useful way.

--
Colin Reynolds, The Net Effect (World Wide) Ltd
http://www.the-net-effect.com/