Re: WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-0130 (navbars)

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@access.digex.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:42:31 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
to follow up on what Daniel Dardailler said:

> DD: Regarding Issue 8: "Offer navigation bars"
> I proposed <div class=navbar>.
> Comment 2: Should we wait to recommend this until the UI group has
> created a guideline for the browser side of things?
> DD:: yeah, you're probably right, we need to wait for the UI group to
> tell us what they need in terms of Markup to achieve a good UI.

AG::
I agree that the <div class=navbar> solution is conjectural until
the browser implementors consider their options.  Markup-aware
navigation where the "start" command takes you to the senior
header[1] in the document, could be one other way to work this
problem.

What I might like to see here is a some sort of a caution, with a
hyperlink to wherever the "too many introductory links" problem
is discussed.

This is an area where the technology doesn't yet offer a
universal solution, so an unqualified "Do this:" is misleading.

Al

Note [1]:  Senior header could be the first H1, and if no H1
the first H2, etc.