Fw: A new check for the Open Accessibility Checks

Saliesh,

I'm forwarding your message to the WAI ER list so there can be public discussion on the good points that you raise.

I haven't added any fields to the checks database that hold author/contributor information but this is a good idea and I'll implement something in January.

Your comments on the improper marking of list elements:

>a.  consecutive lines of short text that are not in one paragraph
>element  which have been marked up with a heading tag (h1 to h6)
>at the same level.

I have checks that cover using headings for formatting [1]. See checks 42-47

I've put these under the WCAG2 HTML techniques 3.2 - Style Headers [2].

>b. a layout table in which one column has a bullet (a character or an image l
>ike a star, arrow etc)  and the next column has an item of text in it.

The WCAG2 HTML techs[3] state that you must use only list elements to mark lists so this use of the layout table to markup a list is wrong:

I can write up a check to detect this misuse of the table formatting.

>c. Consecutive lines with a bullet (a character or an image like a
>star, arrow etc)    followed by  an item of text.

This sounds like misuse of the P element to indicate lists. I can write up a check to detect this misuse of the P element.

>Many sites prefix  text links with word like "link to", the org's name,
>or  the like that results in inefficient first letter navigation of links from
>within a list of links. (List of links are presented by screen-readers for
>instance).

I don't see anything in the WCAG2 techs links section [4] that states what's appropriate for link text. I know there has been discussion[5] about this issue but it appears that nothing has made it into the techniques.

Michael - Should there be something in the WCAG2 HTML techs that deals with link text?

[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#hx-style
[3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#lists
[4] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#links
[5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2003JulSep/0269.html