Re: meta tag or EARL in page

For people who have control over a document, and are interested in publishing
the EARL metadata, the HTML link element is great.

But a couple of other possiblities arise.

People may not want to publish externally their internal assessment data. In
this case they are unlikely to point out where it is in a document they serve
publicly.

Also, third parties may be interested in rating the accessibility (or other
conformance characteristics) of documents or things with URIs.

In each of these cases something like annotea would be useful - using the
concept of a ratings bureau that was introduced for PICS as a way of looking
for RDF information abd a document. The annotea infrastructure allows for an
annotea server to require authentication before giving out results, or for
making results public, which would support the two use cases listed above.

In general it isn't a problem for someone who produces metadata to find it -
even if they don't have any control over the original document their data is
about. The difficulty is how another third party finds metadata in the web at
large - and this is something that is true of all RDF, not just EARL (it is
true of XML in general...)

Cheers

Chaals