Re: Where does the EARL go?

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:03:34 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
"Charles McCathieNevile":
> Nick here makes the point nicely. There is little point in defining a
way to
> link an HTML documennt to an EARL report, since it is reasonable to
expect
> that most earl reports will be about a part of an HTML document, or
will be
> written by someone who should not be changing the document itself.

I disagree, both on a technical, and philosophical viewpoint.  I want to
assert that my content is accessible (and how), I need some way to do
this, I'm not interested in using a 3rd party for my core business.  Then
there are authoring tools themselves, they need some mechanism, and it
needs to work offline, and needs to be transferable across different
test/reporting/authoring tools, including where there's no server
involved.

I don't think it needs to be the only method, 3rd party reports are very,
very valuable, but I do think some way is needed for author linking
aswell.

Jim.