Re: end-user exploitation of EARL-mediated info scenario(s)

>At 12:26 PM 2001-10-21 , Jim Ley wrote:

>AG::
>Then you have a verrrry strange model of user behavior.

Perhaps, but then I know lots of these users, I get lots of emails asking
how to take some sort of control over similar things as this, obviously
it's not everyone

>be pre-filtering of the available stuff based on pre-collection of the
>metadata, in order for the density of workable pages in what they _try_
>browse, to come up to a level where it is at all worth the time to try.
So at
>least for these hard-case communities struggling to get _onto_ the web
(and
>there is a not-small group of LD potential Web users for whom this is the
>state of the art) the coupling into search algorithms is essential to
getting up
>to a minimum success level from where we are today.

I see this as defeatism, if you're just going to use the metadata to help
in creating portals for communities, then I don't see the motivation that
authors will have, the portals don't need the metadata, it'll just make it
slightly easier, if we devolve this to the user control, then all search
engines, portals etc. etc. could be used to find accessible content.  I'll
put my money where my mouth is, and as soon as we get some agreement on
the linking mechanisms, and I've had time to bone up on RDF parsers, I'll
create an example of what I mean.

>Yes the user should select what resources they
>wish to use, and in fact have machine assistance in merging information
from
>different sites.  This _is_ radical.  We _do_ need to demand it.

We have this, at least, what is there to stop us, I recently wanted to
find all Hospitals within 50 miles of Sydney Australia with Casualty
departments, I don't know if the robots I built did to it quicker than I
could've myself, or as accurately, but they did a good job, and that's
with the existing web.  Build on the current, whilst the current situation
is a mess, it's a very successful mess, people won't walk away from it,
and the content won't change.

Jim.