checklink and javascript: URI scheme (was Re: Code: 501 Protocol scheme 'javascript' is not supported)

[ I am copying the WAI Evaluation, Repair, and Transform Tools
  Working Group[8] mailing list for info. ]

* Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org> [2001-03-26 18:25-0500]
> The link checker does not support the javascript: scheme[1].
>
> Also, note that the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines[2] using
> "javascript:" links[3] makes your document not accessible; this is a
> priority[4] 1 checkpoint:
>
>    [Priority 1]
>           A Web content developer must satisfy this checkpoint.
>           Otherwise, one or more groups will find it impossible to access
>           information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint is a
>           basic requirement for some groups to be able to use Web
>           documents.

The link checker[5] now informs users that they must change a
'javascript:' link, referencing the Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines 1.0[2] and the Techniques for Web Content Accessibility
Guidelines 1.0[6].

See [7] for an example.

  1. http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/index.htm
  2. http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WAI-WEBCONTENT-19990505/