      earl:when "date" .
unquote

That looks right to me.

However in the other set of statements
quote
      <> earl:when "date" .
      <mailto:danield@w3.org> earl:asserts { :x :y :z .} .
unquote

I believe the first line, i.e. the line that stands alone, is just standing
by itself, not referring to anything, even though us humans tend to
associate it with the line that follows.

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/