Re: EARL

There are a couple of candidates. I described one a year ago that has a set
of properties, a schema (thanks DanConnolly), a bit of a toy in javascript
that can use the properties (with its own prolog-like syntax for amking
queries) that Dan Brickley made based on Jan Grant's tiny prolog interpreter.
This works for basic confromance statements, but needs something else to add
things like "who said", and "when" and "how do they know". I imagined that
Dublin Core would be good for the first two, and AERT would provide a set of
tests which have URIs that we could use for the latter.

There is a desire to produce a more complete EARL - based or not on this
earlier one is unclear. The meeting on Thursday morning at the W3C plenary
will apparently be dedicated to just this task.

That's as far as I have understood the story.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Sean B. Palmer wrote:

  > One of the things I wanted to do with the WART is to get
  > it to output EARL.

  What's the status with EARL currently? It keeps getting mentioned on the
  lists in two completely different contexts: 1) as a completely finished
  language that can already be output, and 2) as a develpment by ERT that
  needs a spin-off group devoted to it (the "friday group"). [Note: While I
  would like to join the "friday group" , I certainly can't get to the
  meeting, and I still have no way of even getting onto a call...]

  As far as I can tell by reading through the archives again and looking at
  the ERT homepage, we have a great deal of discussion about uses etc., but
  not too much about syntax. The most worrying thing is that we have an
  architecture, but no RDF Schema yet... Daniel made a list of some of the
  properties needed; could some one look at the ontologies of these, and we
  should be able to make a Schema fairly quickly. Then anything that outputs
  EARL will have something to conform to: a syntax.

  --
  Kindest Regards,
  Sean B. Palmer