Simplified EARL

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:35:27 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
I've been working with Sean on the EARL Schema, and I've come up with this
simplified model:

:Sean earl:asserts { :page :altTag [
  :result :Fail ;
  :confidence :High ;
  :comment "He put in a longDesc but forgot the alt for some reason." ;
  :date "2001-04-22" .
] .} .

Or in English: Sean asserts "page fails the altTag test".

The basic concept is that an evaluator (a person or a tool) makes an
assertion along the lines of:

    testSubject -test-> Result

This model can be considered analogous to the buttons on the bottom of pages
that say "Validate This Page". They link from the page (testSubject) to the
Result. The result includes more information about the output of the test,
including comments, confidence, etc.

While this would be the basics of the EARL assertion, further information,
such as descriptions of the parties and tests involved could be included in
the document or gathered from elsewhere. This improves extensibility
greatly, since other parties can provide information about the evaluators,
pages, and tests involved. An example would be:

:page
  a :WebContent ;
  earl:testURI <http://example.org/page> ;
  earl:testDate "2000-04-22" .

:Sean
    a :Person ;
    :name "Sean B. Palmer" ;
    :email <mailto:sean@mysterylights.com> .

:altTag
    :name "Alt Tag" ;
    :comment "Test for an altTag on every image." ;
    :suite <http://example.org/images/> .

I'm not on the list, so please CC responses to me. Thanks.