RE: New technique: Technique 13.1.1 [priority 2] Verify that the target of each link is clearly identified.

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 23:02:02 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
At 2000-02-01 10:27-0500, Michael Cooper wrote:
>What's here looks good. I'd still advocate the check for TITLE attributes of
>links. Here's my thinking -
>I never understood what possible reason there would be to have them (I
>thought HTML 4 was just being thorough) until I heard a presentation[1] at a
>conference last year. The presentor, based at the University of Manchester,
>had been doing research into the experience of visually impaired people
>compared to non-visually impaired people, and come up with the notion of the
>importance of "previewing" that sighted people take for granted. The
>suggestion was that the TITLE attribute of links can provide more detailed
>information about what's there than is actually in the link text (which of
>course still needs to be good) and help a user decide whether to follow the
This may apply with higher priority to external than internal links, since
the cost for the latter traversal and return is minimal. Suggest external P2,
internal P3.

>This is a major benefit to users with screen readers who might otherwise
>follow a link, have to deal with all the navigation stuff at the top etc.
>before they get to the content and discover the page isn't relevant. It also
>helps people who don't want to wait for the download or who read slowly and
>might take time to discover that the page doesn't have what they were
>looking for.

Excellent reason. Thanks for making me aware of its advantages.

Presumably this would be done in its absence as a title="value" attribute
that is offering the reference link.

> > --
> > wendy a chisholm

Regards/Harvey Bingham