Re: New Technique: Technique 11.3.1 [priority 3] Check that documents are served per user preferences.

At 2000-01-31 18:10-0500, Wendy wrote:

>I propose:
>Technique 11.3.1 [priority 3] Check that documents are served per user
>preferences.
>Discussion Status:
>awaiting discussion
>Evaluation:
>none.
>Example Language:
>none.
>Repair Technique:
>Prompt user to specify language of document in technique 4.3.1.
>Use CC/PP or XML/XSLT or other transformations on the server or gateway to
>configure a page for various user preferences and device profiles.

Where is the concept of user-specific style sheet representing configuration
desires included? Should it be here?

>Work with your server system administrator to provide content negotiation.
>Use browser sniffing on the client to request documents on the server.
>Use cookies to remember user preferences between sessions and server
>documents per those preferences.

Are cookies part of our recommendation? Are they universally understood
across browsers? Cursory examination of their content suggests that they
often contain proprietary representations/encoded data.

>Link to other versions of the document (other formats, other

other what? representations?

>If not possible to use content negotiation, indicate content type or
>language through markup (e.g., in HTML use "type" and "hreflang").
>--
>wendy a chisholm

Regards/Harvey Bingham