Re: Technique 4.1.A (Changes In Language)

At 02:06 PM 10/29/99 -0400, Chris Ridpath wrote:
>An author can identify changes in language for an entire paragraph or DIV
>but how can they identify language changes for a word or phrase within a
>paragraph or DIV?
>
>FONT has a LANG attribute but it's not really appropriate.
>
>Does the author need to identify language changes for a word or phrase?

Yes.

In Jason's Braille stylesheets, for example, there are style rules which
kick the contraction transformation from one ruleset to another on foreign
words or phrases.  If the system simply knows it is foreign and suspends
contraction for the duration of the foreign text, that counts as coping,
everything smarter than that is style and grace.  Of course we want to
design the Web formats to be able to support style and grace.  A repair
tool may be forgiven if it merely guarantees coping.

But, yes, we have applications for the information even at that incidental
a scale.

Al