Re: BLINK repair mechanisms (calling all CSS gurus!)

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 12:02:39 -0400
To: "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, "WAI ER IG List" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

>> 3) there are heuristics that could be applied to estimate what role the
>> text that is MARQUEEing or BLINKing plays in the page...
>>
>A good suggestion but I don't think this will make it into version 1 of
>A-Prompt.
>
>Chris

Of course, the ERT document can have things that aren't in version 1 of
A-Prompt.  ERT is extremely valuable in itself.

That said, let me suggest a very simple heuristic:

Heading text shall be offered as substitutes for BLINKing text if that text
starts a new line; i.e. if it immediately follows P, /P,  BR, TH, TD, or
/Hx. (In the future, this heuristic may be extended to include CSS
positioning and statistical Heuristics.)

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)