Re: conversion to picture only [was 3 points about Text free (<30 words) sites

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:30:00 -0500
To: "jonathan chetwynd" <jay@peepo.com>, "jonathan chetwynd" <jay@peepo.com>, <"jonathan chetwynd"@concentric.net>
Cc: "W3C" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
At 08:28 AM 3/15/99 -0000, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>That is part of the picture, though the deaf are still left out.

So in the ideal world, clicking on the pictures could bring up ASL videos,
which would accomodate people who are reading disabled and people who are
deaf as well.

Or to icons written with semantic compaction (Minspeak) (described at
http://www.prentrom.com).  I don't know how well people with LD can use
this system.

Aside from those cases, I can't think of any way of communicating more than
a fraction of the informtion by icons alone.

Len

>I realise that some of this is pipedreams, on the other side it is possible
>to design inclusive systems as multimedia comes on stream.
>
>Interactivity is the main benefit, as it provides feedback. It needs to be
>appropriate to the user.
>
>jay@peepo.com

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)