Re: Trace prototypes available on the Web and to be presented at CSUN

Hi Wendy,

I'm having trouble working the demo of table navigation.

Where the instructions say "move the window to the right hand corner"

you mean move the right hand corner of the window to the screen?

Or do you mean move the scroll bars so the window is in the lower right of
the table?  What would that mean? Do you mean move vertical scroll bar all
way down, horizontal scoll bar all way  right?

Also, what should I see happen?   Do I need a screen reader for it to
happen?  Or will I see something on the screen?

I'm looking forward to getting it working!

Len

At 09:41 AM 3/8/99 -0600, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>We've posted our latest work on our Web site at
>http://trace.wisc.edu/world/web/document_access/.
>
>The following tools are available from this site and will be
>demonstrated/presented at CSUN.  We will also be gathering informal
>usability results in the curb cuts room.
>

>Headers Power Toy (zip archive)(for Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x and 5.x)
>     Our power toy allows a user to select a header from a list of headers
>to take them to that header in the current page. Developed by Mark Novak.
>
>Links Power Toy (zip archive)(for Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x and 5.x)
>     This power toy differs from the power toy provided by Microsoft in
>that the alt-text of images used as links is displayed rather than the
>document address (URL). Developed by Mark Novak.
>
>"HelpDB" program (zip archive)(for Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x and 5.x)
>     Helpdb uses Microsoft's component object model (COM) and several
>publicly available application program interfaces (APIs) to communicate and
>inter-operate with Internet Explorer version 4.0+ and above. Helpdb does
>not expose or allow the user to interact with all elements on a web page.
>Helpdb is being developed as a  "proof-of-concept" model, focusing on
>improving the ability of users to navigate web page tables, as well as the
>user's ability to infer web page "structure" by listing all link, header,
>and table elements contained on a particular web page in their order of
>occurrence.
>
>Table navigation JavaScript (for Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.x and 5.x)
>     This script was the proof of concept was the ground work for HelpDB.
>It needs to exist on the same page as the  table you wish to navigate, or
>it could be included in a frameset and be somewhat persistent on a Web
>site. It  was developed by Mark Novak, Jon Reinberg, and Wendy Chisholm.
>
>Increasing the Accessibility of the Web through style sheets, scripts, and
>"plug-ins"
>     Written by Wendy Chisholm and Mark Novak, this paper gives the
>background and overview of the work in this  area at the Trace Center. They
>will be presenting their most up-to-date results at the 1999 CSUN
>conference in  L.A. in March.
>
>for more information please write to: helpdb@trace.wisc.edu
>

>wendy chisholm
>human factors engineer
>trace research and development center
>university of wisconsin - madison, USA

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)