Re: 3 points about Text free (<30 words) sites

At 08:22 AM 3/14/99 -0000, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>1    I have read that providing links to original material held on others
>servers does not infringe copyright . This does not seem right, but can
>anyone point me to a definitive statement? ie img src ="http:/www....
>I would like to implement this but have not done so yet.

I think you are right to be suspicious of that statement.  Even if you link
to the original site, you are visually incorporating their artwork into
your page.

>2    Where could the WAI recommend that sites which use ASP's and the like
>either provide accessible sites for non readers, and others, or leave their
>db's accessible for responsible users? The work around involves caching the
>site and then stripping it, again something I have done, but it is slow.

What's specific about ASP's?  I believe an ASP can output any type of page,
including one with images.

Does a site have to be pictures only to be accessible to non-readers?  What
if they have access to a program that reads the text on the screen?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by your workaround.  What do you
mean by stripping the site?

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)