Web Content Accessibility Guidelines

From: jonathan chetwynd <jonathan@signbrowser.free-online.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:13:33 -0000
To: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
I am a little unsure how it is intended that views on documents be shared.
If I should be looking elsewhere please advise me.

Having studied the relevant parts of http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-19990226/  these are my thoughts

0.0
    Where possible sites should be transparent in meaning without the use of text.
    ~1-5% of the adult population are non-readers.

1.0  Provide text equivalents for text.
    ensure that the minimum text is used that conveys the meaning, with links to details.
    ~50% have a vocabulary of 2k words.

1.01
    Provide data in site titles (meta tabs) as to number of words used and readability (flesch reading ease).

1.1
    Provide a means in the common browsers for:
    turning off text labels (ALT) for non-readers.
    excluding complex or lengthy sites (1.01), conversely trite or youthful ones

z.z
    Provide tabs for text in HTML

Jonathan Chetwynd
jay@peepo.com