Re: Guideline 1 in The evaluation techniques document

From: Daniel Dardailler <danield@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:50:05 +0200
To: "Leonard R. Kasday" <kasday@acm.org>
cc: "webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net" <webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net>, "w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

> Daniel brings up the case where an adjacent image and text point to the
> same place.
>
> I agree it's redundant to have both links.  However, even if you replace
> the ALT text with "", there's still a problem.  The user will hear that
> there's a link there.  For example, in Lynx with numbers on there will be a
> number.   So they'll know it's a link, but hear that there's no ALT text.

This depends on the UA.

An smart UA could completely drop the ALT="" image link, after
checking that the A href for the img is the same as some other very
close textual A.

Note that this technique of adjacent logo pointing to the same
resource as an adjacent textual equivalent is common on the web, and
often it uses two A, not one, for implementation reason (alignment,
table layout, etc) that we can't easily ignore.