Re: Guideline 1 in The evaluation techniques document

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:10:49 -0400
To: "Chris Ridpath" <chris.ridpath@utoronto.ca>, <dd@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>

>When an evaluation and/or repair tool encounters the problem, it will inform
>the user using this language. We don't want A-Prompt to say one thing and
>Bobby to say another. For example: If Bobby said 'Missing ALT text for
>image' while A-Prompt said 'Picture does not have descriptive text' the user
>could be confused.

I'd suggest that we not try to standardize the error message.  What is
essential would be a link to the guideline document.  That would make it
unambiguous.  That way individual tools can improve without us changing
this requirements document.

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Universal Design Engineer, Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Adjunct Professor, Electrical Engineering
Temple University

Ritter Hall Annex, Room 423, Philadelphia, PA 19122
(215} 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)