Re: Guideline 1 in The evaluation techniques document

Daniel,

>Instead of
>>  Valid ALT text:
>I would call that:
>  Evaluation of ALT text

Sure, sounds clearer to me.

>>  Not allowed - NULL ALT value (ALT="")
>Was that the consensus when it was discussed on this list ?
>Why is it not allowed while " " is ?

Please see my previous message. If there's agreement, I'll change this ER
technique to conform to the WAI techniques. (NULL is allowed. Spaces are not
allowed).

>>  Language for missing ALT text: Missing ALT text for image
>>  Language for suspicious ALT text: Suspicious ALT text for image
>This is language for what usage exactly ?

When an evaluation and/or repair tool encounters the problem, it will inform
the user using this language. We don't want A-Prompt to say one thing and
Bobby to say another. For example: If Bobby said 'Missing ALT text for
image' while A-Prompt said 'Picture does not have descriptive text' the user
could be confused.

I was hoping the language could clearly describe the accessibility problem
so the user would know what's wrong. I'm not sure that 'ALT text' is a good
way to describe the value of the ALT attribute to the user. What about
'descriptive text' or just 'description'?

>>  Suggestions for possible ALT text:
>>  Other checks:
>
>I would make that another heading, same level as Analysis, called
>  "Repair of ALT text"
>This way, for each (sub)checkpoint, we have an Evaluation section and
>a Repair section, clearly delimited.

Sounds sensible. If there's agreement, I'll modify the document.

>I think it's OK to have a complex image which is described in running
>text, rather than at the other end of a longdesc URI.

I agree. Perhaps we could change the user prompt to: "Complex images require
a long description. If the document text does not adequately describe the
image, please create a complete description of the image."?

Chris