Thoughts on the Future of BAD (was: Re: BAD)

Hi Wayne,

> I propose we add some more pages over time.

Honestly (as a member of the BAD TF) I don’t think that makes much
sense. The layout of both, before and after pages is sub-par by
today’s standards. And the accessibility challenges lie in other
areas: Popups, drop downs, HTML5 Canvas and so on. We need to define
best practices on a much more deeper level, showing what’s the
approach people should take if they use a technique.

What about mobile web design, responsiveness and so on. Showing
accessibility won’t work by just showing a document with the problems
of the 2000’s, we got web apps today, much more interactivity and
complex interfaces in browsers.

I concur with making a living document, even a living library showing
best practices. (Like this pattern library by Yahoo!
http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/) But this would mean a major
overhaul of the whole project and really get some more people in it.
On the other side there is a huge benefit from a library where you can
just get some HTML/CSS/JS and put it into your project and make it
more accessible at the same time.

BTW: I don’t think that the current complex structure of the BAD
documents can be stretched much longer to include more web pages, 4
documents per page (before/after/report before/report after) is just a
lot of content to get into a navigation. We managed to do it just
right, but it would be too much if there were another 2 or 3 pages, I
think.

(Sorry, that got longer than I anticipated, but probably there are a
few thoughts that are inspiring for the future of BAD.)

(Cross-posted to the BAD TF mailinglist.)

Best,
Eric

--

outline - we web.